DR LINDSAY BOTTOMS
School of Life and Medical Science, University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield, AL10 9AB Tel: 01707 285685. Email: L.Bottoms@herts.ac.uk. URL: http://www.researchgate.co.uk/lindsaybottoms
Education & Qualifications:
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist, NSCA, Dec 2013
- PhD, Physiology and Sport Science, University of Coventry, July, 2008
- MSc by Research Sports Studies, Stirling University, 2004
- BSc Sports and Exercise Sciences (2:1) Birmingham University 1999-2002
University of Hertfordshire, May 2015 – Present
Senior Lecturer in Human Physiology, main responsibilities include:
- Research Lead for Sport, Health and Exercise Research Group
- Module leader for Research Design and Applied Nutrition for Health and Physical Activity
- PhD supervisor (3 full time and 2 part time)
- Level 4 Tutor
- Write research grant applications
University of East London, November 2010 – April 2015
Senior Lecturer in Exercise Physiology, responsibilities include:
- Course leader for BSc (hons) Fitness and Health
- Module leader for three modules (Fitness Assessment, Applied Exercise Physiology and Research Skills)
- Teaching on first, second, third year and postgraduate modules including Talent ID, Research Methods, Exercise Rehabilitation, Coaching Skills and Strength and Conditioning
- Student recruitment in China and Russia
- Mphil and MRes Supervisor
University of Central Lancashire, November 2007-November 2010
Lecturer, responsibilities included:
- Course leader for BSc(hons) Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Module leader for four modules (Performance in extreme environments, Physiology of human movement, Physiological Assessment Techniques and Health and safety in sport and exercise)
- Research Strategic Management Executive Committee member (2016-present)
- Co-Chair of the ACSM Combat Sports Interest Group (2015-present)
- Internal PhD Examiner (2017)
- External examiner for London Met and Writtle College
- External for course validation/revalidation at St Mary’s and Chester University (2015 and 2017, respectively)
- School ethics committee member at both UCLAN (2008-2010) and UEL (2011-2015)
- School research degrees committee member at UEL (2012-2015)
- National Epee Manager at British Fencing (2013- present)
- Cadet Epee Weapons selector for British Fencing (2012- present)
- Junior GB epee team manager (2014 – present)
- Youth Fencing Referee
- Chaperone Team Leader for the Anti Doping Team for Water Polo at London 2012
- Chaperone Team Leader for the Anti Doping Team for Sitting Volleyball at London 2012
- Volunteer Marshall at Virgin London Marathon April 2012 and April 2014
- Chaperone for British Cadet fencers 2010
- American College of Sports Medicine
- Higher Education Association Fellowship Descriptor 2
- British Association of Sport and Exercise Science (BASES Professional)
- Waiting for outcome of BASES accreditation (submitted Dec 2016)
- Journal of Sports Science
- European Journal of Sport Science
- Research in Sports Medicine
- Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research
- Several other peer reviewed journals.
Public Engagement :
- Café Scientifique Hatfield lecture: Carbohydrate mouth rinsing in sports performance, Nov 2016
- Food Unwrapped appearance in Sugar episode; carbohydrate mouth rinsing, September 2016
- Bottoms, L. The science behind the Olympic sport of fencing. The Conversation, August 2016
- Fencing research workshop, Chichester Fencing Open, July 2016
- Bottoms, L. Why spitting is as good as swallowing when it comes to sports drinks. The Conversation, April 2016
- Bottoms, L. and Sinclair, J: Achilles tendon injuries in fencers. The Sword Magazine, 2015
- Bottoms, L. and Sinclair, J: Dissecting the epee lunge. The Sword Magazine, 2013
Successful Grant Applications:
- LMS Learning and Teaching Award 2017: A feasibility study to explore the student experience of both written and audio feedback for Sport Undergraduate programmes (£2000). Bottoms, L., Gautrey, C. and Hatchett, L.
- Research Impact Grant 2016: Putting fencing research in to practice by undertaking two webinars and a workshop for UK elite coaches (£873). Bottoms, L.
- Santander Partnership – Research Collaboration Support Grant 2015-2016. Bottoms, L., Roberts, M. and Desai, T. Mechanisms of actions of cherries during exercise (£1000).
- Crohn’s and Colitis UK: Bottoms, L., Tew, G., Carpenter, R., Seed, M., Anderson, S. and Langmead, L. A Feasibility Study of Moderate and High Intensity Exercise Training in Adults with Crohn’s Disease (£115,000).
- BASES Expert Statement 2015: Bottoms, L., Smith, P., Price, M. and Tew, G. The BASES Expert Statement on Arm Crank Ergometry. Awarded £1000 travel fund.
- Research Development Fund 2012/12: Effects of exercise on the symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease and associated health outcomes.
- University Research Internship Scheme 2014: Bottoms, L. and Buscombe, R. The effect of carbohydrate ingestion and mouth rinsing on tennis performance.
- University Research Internship Scheme 2013: Bottoms, L. and Buscombe, R. The effect of different concentrations of carbohydrate mouth rinse on 30 minute cycling performance.
- University Research Internship Scheme 2012: Buscombe, R. and Bottoms, L. Neurophysiologic and phenomenological correlates of sports specific relaxation techniques
- University Research Internship Schme 2011: Bottoms, L., Dixon, D. and Hastings, K. The effects of carbohydrate on continuous and intermittent upper body exercise.
- University Research Internship Scheme 2010: Bottoms, L and Fewtrell D. The effects of carbohydrate ingestion on biomechanical and physiological parameters of the badminton serve following a fatiguing protocol.
- Teaching, Learning and Assessment Fund UCLan: Bottoms, L. Awarded £500 for developing teaching on XS2200 module (April 2010).
- Excellent leadership, organisational, and coaching skills, evidenced by nomination to numerous leadership roles during my career to date.
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- British Fencing Team manager training certificate (2015)
- Certified Strength and Conditioning specialist (NSCA, 2013)
- Certified Level 2 epee fencing coach (place Coventry, 2010)
- Emergency First Aid certificate (place University of Hertfordshire, July 2015)
- Defibrillator training (place University of Hertfordshire, July 2015)
- Safeguarding and welfare certificate (place University of Hertfordshire, 2014)